Chromebook Security for Remote Education, Students & Teachers
As K-12 Chromebooks Usage Increases, Students & Educators Are Now Protected From Attacks
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought about exceptional shipment numbers for the notebook computer industry, with Chromebooks showing the most remarkable growth. The latest global forecasts show Chromebooks shipments in 2Q20 reached up to 11.6 million units. That marks the first time ever for Chromebooks to occupy 25 percent of the total quarterly notebook shipment.
Unfortunately, for schools relying on Chromebooks for remote education, students, teachers and administrators face the same privacy and security threats associated with laptops and mobile devices, without the same security measures. These risks and threats include:
- Bad WiFi: Loss of personal information, including grades and health data.
- Phishing: Stolen credentials could be used to steal money or even compromise social media accounts.
- Malicious App: Spyware and other malicious apps could expose data or deliver a device exploit.
- OS Exploit: Cameras and microphones can be turned on, anytime day or night.
- Risky App: Private information can be shared without any user knowledge or consent.
In 2018, Chromebooks had 60% market share among all laptops and tablets in U.S, K-12 classrooms.
According to Google, up to 30 million Chromebooks are being used in education currently.
"The genie is out of the bottle. School districts using Chromebooks are at risk. The same risks laptops and desktops face, but without the protection. zIPS for Chromebooks is an insurance policy every school district, private school, homeschooler, college and university needs."
- Former state Secretary of Technology; current cybersecurity in education advocate
An individual can be tricked into installing malware through various social engineering tricks. Again, this could occur on iOS or Android devices too.
Once the Chromebook is in the “bad guy’s” control, he/she can access the different functionality - - including the camera.
An individual can also gain the passwords for any account. For example, a student is at a coffee shop, reviewing mom and dad’s checking out.
Introducing zIPS for Chromebooks
Schools finally have a solution to these threats: Zimperium zIPS for Chromebooks. zIPS for Chromebooks is the first and only comprehensive, on-device, machine learning-based security solution for Chromebooks.
zIPS for Chromebooks – through the same machine learning-based technology that has been detecting and preventing attacks on millions of iOS and Android endpoints for years – detects and remediates against those attacks (and more):
- Identifying and blocking users from accessing phishing sites;
- Detection of malicious Wi-Fi networks and alerting users to disconnect from the network; and
- Assessment of all Android apps for undesired violations of privacy, or unsecure development practice.
zIPS for Chromebook’s on-device design also protects user privacy and provides local, continuous assessments of the endpoint.
Provides Centralized Visibility
Additionally, administrators finally have centralized visibility into any attacks so they can take quick action and events can be correlated and viewed in external SIEM and data collection services.
zIPS for Chromebooks helps educational institutions reduce their risk by detecting the most advanced device, network, phishing and malicious app attacks.
Zimperium is providing peace of mind for educators, parents and older students who will be able to remediate while maintaining the strictest of privacy.Contact Us